Saturday, February 20, 2016

Her Dark Friend to Melisandre at a Baby Shower 
What shadow keeps this lonely soul going 
A husband invites a shadow o his wife's baby shower 


Her Dark Friend (Shakespearean sonnet) 

She walks amid the silence her dark friend
Who softens her reminders of the pain
To give her soul a season to pretend
And leave it to another to explain
-
She doesn’t want her tears to see her cry
To fuel what slumbers in her memory
Some strain still hissing there for her reply
Some poison yearning burning to be free
-
She sees a world which promised so much more
Now clouded in the mist of make believe
Which knocks upon another stranger’s door
Another stain upon another’s sleeve
-
What sadness sets a dream so far away
This something which a friend just wouldn’t say 


My attempt at a Shakespearean sonnet in goth style. The sonnet is so bleak it has no offsetting (conflict) stanza. What is interesting about this sonnet is: although there is no real resolution, our minds create some form of hope out of the rhyming couplet, when there is nothing really there. 

An ode to Jennifer. Just before my son, Peter, was born, I had reached the pinnacle of my weirdness. People were uncertain of my sexuality. My fashion was out there somewhere. I wore dangling earrings (one). I dyed my hair. I was really the sight to see. All this while I worked at the Chevron headwaters. It was here that I would run into Jennifer. 
Jennifer was a young attractive goth girl. I was attracted to her solely because she was interesting to me and being seen with her rounded out my look. There was nothing more between Jennifer and me. Perhaps my limited interest in her was why Jennifer allowed me into her would. She was fascinating. In my whole life, I have never met a person with so much bad luck. Jennifer didn't like close relationships. Her beauty attracted boys who would treat her so poorly that she stopped dating when her last boyfriend went to jail. Hr mother died and her father became an alcoholic. He kicked her out when she turned 18. Her brother and sister no longer talk to her. What really fascinated me about Jennifer was: with so much bad luck, how did she find the strength to carry on? Out of the ashes of day to day meaningless existed arose this beauty. Or was it all an act? 


How about a song for the mood: Evanescence "My Immortal" performed by Lindsey Stirling 

Game of Thrones - Baby Shower? 


In the middle of the 1900s, baby showers became a way to help a growing family with the financial burdens of a new baby. Speaking of baby showers, Melisandre is a fictional character in the A Song of Ice and Fire series of the fantasy Game of Thrones. She is a priestess of the Lord of Light and a close adviser to Stannis Baratheon in his campaign to take the Iron Throne. She is also a friend of TV host Seth Meyers That's how she got invited to Seth's wife's baby shower. 
It should come as no surprise to anyone: Never invite anyone from Game of Thrones to your baby shower. "Melisandre at a Baby Shower - Late Night with Seth Meyers" 

Thank you for stopping by and your kind support


Please leave a comment with your opinion, feedback and/or suggestion(s) or just say hi.
If you missed or want to enjoy a previous edition visit the Blog Archive (on the right column).
Don't forget to bookmark and/or follow http://mhatter99.blogspot.com/
(Sometimes videos may load slow.)


Share Poetry and Viral Videos with a friend 



I think we consider too much the good luck 
of the early bird and not enough the bad luck 
of the early worm.
Franklin D. Roosevelt

6 comments:

  1. I volunteer on a telephone crisis line. Each shift I am blown away by people's resilience. People whose lives are such that, if it was me, I would be velcroed to the carpet under the bed refusing to come out. And yet they carry on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your service to society.
      My volunteer work was mainly for children. I did perform 147 funerals, though.
      Thank you for sharing your experience

      Delete
  2. It would seem that my vow to never attend a baby shower was a good one--huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I come from the days when "real men" didn't go to baby showers.
      (I think it had something to do with doing the dishes.)
      Thank you for sharing a laugh

      Delete
  3. I very much enjoyed your poem. The strength people can have is impressive. Thank you for your words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input.
      I'm glad you enjoyed

      Delete