Tuesday, April 12, 2016

My Promise to The Presidential Debate and King Arthur 
A lover vies for the hand of his dream 
Two candidates vie for the leadership of their country 


My Promise (Shakespearean sonnet) 

My dear my love my world my precious soul
Please take my hand that I may bless your life
And be your shield for any future strife
To be that piece of life that makes you whole
-
That every day you walk through will be bliss
And all your needs I’ll meet to see you smile
An at your feet such wonders I’ll compile
Your dream your heaven paradise my this
-
But though I dream alas I’m just a man
A man whose dream right now holds only you
Tomorrow’s dream may change oh yes it’s true
But for this dream I’ll do what legends can
-
All this I wish plus love that will not die
But I can only promise this I’ll try 


A simple Shakespearean sonnet. A lover sings his case to win his desire's hand. He states his case floridly, yet tries not to be misleading. Notice that in the "conflict" stanza (the third stanza), the speaker addresses his dream in every line. He tries to be as honest as he can when it comes to tomorrow and humans and certainty. It is his honesty, that the last line of the sonnet gains its power and meaning. 

"I promise." How many times have we heard that? How many time have we heard that only to be let down? I would like to offer an alternative. Instead of pledging a promise, pledge that you will try. 
A promise has only two outcomes. Either we succeed in keeping our promise or we fail. In trying (honestly trying) we can still fail or succeed, but we can grow. In promising, things may come up that may prevent one from keeping the promise. For instance: One may promise they will always be there. Then the car breaks down or the cell phone stops working (etc,). The promise is broken, good excuse(s) or not. If life plays this hand too often (all good intentions aside), honor is broken. How does one feel? A promise does not allow for things outside an individual's control. Whereas in the realm of trying, outside circumstances are more understandable, easier to deal with and doesn't negatively effect one's honor. Also, one can accomplish a promise and more, yet I do not feel, the above and beyond a promise is as meaningful as accomplishing more than we try. 
There may be times when circumstances require our promise. For all other occasions, consider the power of trying. Honestly trying, And when we try, also always go, always accomplish, always add a little extra. Oh sure, we could do the same thing with a promise. But consider this: if an individual accomplishes all this by simply trying, imagine what a promise would mean. Enter the possibilities of trying. Trying to be all that we are. Each step we try , leads to another success. And as we try, we enjoy. 


As we try the wonders of love, to motivate us: Michael BublĂ© performs 
Alan Brandt and Bob Haymes "That's All" 

The farthest thing from a promise is a politician 


A little known fact about King Arthur (Arthur Pendragon) is that he did not know his mother until he was king. Legend has it, he ruled Britain in the late 5th and early 6th centuries AD. Studio C has a legend of their own. What if back then the people of Britain elected their king. What if the candidates for this high office had to debate each other? 
Here is one more quandary: Is it a coincidence legend and laugh both begin with the letter L? "The Presidential Debate and King Arthur - Studio C" 

Thank you for stopping by and your kind support 


Please leave a comment with your opinion, feedback and/or suggestion(s) or just say hi.
If you missed or want to enjoy a previous edition visit the Blog Archive (on the right column).
Don't forget to bookmark and/or follow http://mhatter99.blogspot.com/
You can also become a follower of this site by clicking "join this site" on the right
(Sometimes videos may load slow.)

Share Poetry and Viral Videos with a friend 



Life doesn't require that we be the best, 
only that we try our best. 
H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

10 comments:

  1. I suspect you were each 'that piece of life that makes you whole'.
    Which is as it should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried and were tried.
      Thank you for trying your time to share with us

      Delete
  2. I rarely make promises And cringe when one does.
    Oh and I love Michael Buble'.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good attitude. It will help to keep those wrinkles away.
      A romanticist are we?
      Thank you

      Delete
  3. Beautiful sonnet, well crafted and smooth.

    Thanks much for visiting my blog. Sorry it's taken me so long to get here, but G+ profiles are not easy to navigate for me.

    Best wishes,
    Nilanjana.
    Ninja Minion, A-Z 2016
    Madly-in-Verse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you. 2 of my 6/5 limericks are posted on G+ daily.
      Thank you for your kind support

      Delete
  4. I think to try to be true to what we hope to do is very important. Beautiful poem, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is clear, the peom got you thinking.
      Thank you for everything

      Delete