Thursday, April 7, 2016

Strangers’ Faces to Best Friends In Rom Coms Are Alcoholics 
From strangers comes the helping hand of a friend 
A friend needs a helping hand - and she gets it 


Strangers’ Faces (Shakespearean sonnet) 

I bumped into a stranger on the street
A man a voice on Sundays he’s a choir
And for the lonely elderly a treat
But here he’s just a face amid the mire
-
I turned and into woman I then brushed
A shelter’s kitchen was her destiny
Where her sweet smile would warm those life had crushed
Were those the hands now reaching out toward me
-
I struck a fellow as I neared the ground
He gives his time to aid our troubled youth
To help them turn tortured past around
But now he’s here to brace me from my truth
-
Among the strangers’ faces in the crowd
Are neighbors making reasons to be proud


In this Shakespearean sonnet there are no tricks. I didn't want any distractions from the message. Here we have an individual who is accidentally bumped into by a stranger. As he falls to the ground tree individuals try to help him. Time seems to slow down as he gains an insight into the strangers' characters. 

I've been a volunteer since, I don't know when. I do remember Chevron got me heavily involved in The United Way of the Bay Area. Since then, I was involved in PTAs and coaching and various other here and theres, I really took off when I joined the Freemasons.
It was 1993 and I found out my Lodge was giving out free pencil boxes at schools!  I joined the Public Schools committee and convinced them to something more meaningful. I was guided to Mrs. Yee, an English teacher at Thomas Jefferson Middle School. She needed $7,000 for an experimental reading program: "Stepping Stones to Reading". The committee lobbied the voting members to have the Lodge vote Mrs. Yee the money. "Stepping Stones to Reading" was so successful San Francisco took over the cost and introduced it to the other middle schools in the city. The Lodge made several newspapers for its support of Mrs. Yee's vision. From there I took off. 
Now let's get back to the sonnet, As I took off, I found others who wanted to help. All around me were individuals who wanted to do something, but needed direction. Money isn't everything. $100 bills cannot spoon out food at a soup kitten. $1,000 bills cannot answer phones at a suicide prevention center. Sure, I would forward donations, but I needed hands, feet and ideas. I have a motto: "Working together we can do so much more." And all around me were volunteers who wanted to be part of the success. When it comes to charity no task is too small. And when one has so many who want to help, we can only accomplish greatness. 
As I got more and more involved into  my various charities, I would bump into strangers who were also involved in volunteer work, of one sort or another. All around us are hard working individuals, doing their part to make this a better world. Perhaps you are one. Perhaps you are not even aware how you are helping. Together we are well intentioned individuals doing our part to build a better place. A place that one day everyone can enjoy. 
And to everyone doing their part: Thank you 


You are not going to believe this video: Matisyahu "One Day" 

Feelin' pretty good about ourselves - How about a laugh 


Monastic orders such as the Cistercians and Benedictines preserved and innovated the art of wine making during the Middle Ages. What does wine have to do with helping people? Okay, I can hear minds churning. But back in this world, there is talk of an employee at College Humor. This employee is always there if someone needs a shoulder to cry on. 
There is only one problem. "Best Friends In Rom Coms Are All Alcoholics"

Thank you for stopping by and your kind support


Please leave a comment with your opinion, feedback and/or suggestion(s) or just say hi.
If you missed or want to enjoy a previous edition visit the Blog Archive (on the right column).
Don't forget to bookmark and/or follow http://mhatter99.blogspot.com/
You can also become a follower of this site by clicking "join this site" on the right
(Sometimes videos may load slow.)

Share Poetry and Viral Videos with a friend 



And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; 
but the greatest of these is charity.
1 Corinthians 13:13 (King James version)

6 comments:

  1. The kindness of strangers enrichs our world doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does and it is so underrated.
      Thank you for all you do.

      Delete
  2. A gift of time is a generous gift indeed. Such kindness is amazing, thank you for putting thoughts of this in my head today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite welcome.
      Thank you for your inspiration.

      Delete
  3. Everyone is a stranger till they say 'hello'.
    Nice poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing!
      Well put.
      Thank you so much for this

      Delete