Friday, June 10, 2016

Notes From The Past to How to be a Rock Climber 
The adventure of one man's memories of youth 
The adventure of a rock climber want-to-be 


Notes From The Past (villanelle) 

How different now it all seems to be
The notes from the past which took me away
Those things which yet toy with my memory
-
Are these the streets which set a youth free
Adventures delights to which I would stray
How different now it all seems to be
-
Were these the doors which once sheltered me
They opened to hope and closed off dismay
Those things which yet toy with my memory
-
A page out of time was my family
Which made up a part of pages today
How different now it all seems to be
-
From terrors abuse and hardships I’d flee
And still they found paths to nightmares to play
Those things which yet toy with my memory
-
From ashes of storm grew a mystery
Who found in darkness a brighter array
How different now it all seems to be
Those things which yet toy with my memory 


Echoes from a past form this villanelle. A villanelle uses the first a third lines of the first stanza as part of its structured story line. How fitting this is in a poem dealing with memories. The villanelle starts off painting a peaceful picture. Then comes the horror of it all. There is no real resolution. We know how memories can be. 

The Noe Valley is the sunniest and the most beautiful neighborhood in San Francisco. The picture, that leads this edition, is where I grew up. It was a time when we kids would meet and play in the streets. Where neighbors knew each other and would spend hot summer nights enjoying good friendships on their front stairs. Noe Valley was so beautiful that it was not unusual for people to walk the streets to take in the beauty. Into this picture comes a child whose father was abusive. My mother would exaggerate the slightest thing I did wrong to make sure I got a beating. This was the house were I would learn about racism. This would be the home where my mother would one day disappear. How beautiful the Noe Valley would be, if only... It wouldn't be until I was in my 30s that I fully came to grips with my childhood. 

Lucky is the person that has no problems (if there is such a one). Most of us take our problems, challenges and learn to grow. I was fortunate that all my problems seemed to be at my home. Or maybe, my home was so terrible that it made everything else seem better. Funny how life works. Was I a good student because I had great teachers or because an average grade would mean a beating? So it is with many of us. What really were the elements that brought us here? One of the messages of the villanelle is balance (good and bad). I believe, the wonder that is us, is a product of that balance. I believe that we are in search of that center spot. True happiness. And as we seek out our own true happiness, enjoy. 


I found a fitting song for the villanelle: Martina McBride "Concrete Angel" 

We don't have to be rock climbers to reach the top - but just in case 


The most famous rock on earth is Mount Everest. (Well, not really a rock.) Its peak is 8,848 meters above sea level. The first official assault to the the top is credited to Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay in 1953. Have you ever dreamed of climbing Mount Everest? Michael Russell, of IFHT, is here to help us out. In 21 lessons he will make a rock climber out of us.  
But first, I have to climb into my refrigerator for another beer. "How to be a Rock Climber"


Thank you for stopping by and your kind support 


Please leave a comment with your opinion, feedback and/or suggestion(s) or just say hi.
If you missed or want to enjoy a previous edition visit the Blog Archive (on the right column).
Don't forget to bookmark and/or follow http://mhatter99.blogspot.com/
(Sometimes videos may load slow.)

Share Poetry and Viral Videos with a friend 



Life is like riding a bicycle. 
To keep your balance, you must keep moving. 
Albert Einstein

10 comments:

  1. The past (good and bad) does shape us. However, I think the direction we choose is largely our decision. We can stay on the dark side, or we can use it to direct us to better places...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well put. I believe, we all have an inclination toward the good.
      Thank you for sharing your thoughts

      Delete
  2. The past is what makes us who we are today. This post breaks my heart.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memories I think are part of what makes us who we are. They can definitely toy with us and coming to terms can sometimes be difficult. Beautiful and thought provoking words Martin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughts on this matter.
      We are indeed products of the stairway of life

      Delete
  4. I think not only the past, but as we walk through life the people who surround us, and support us also play a role in our true happiness. Thanks for this enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I share your belief, We are all connected.
      Thank you for all of your support

      Delete
  5. This is the first time I have heard of a villanelle. I can't wait to try. I always learn so mu ch from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you'll do great.
      Go here for instructions - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villanelle
      Thank you for dropping by

      Delete