Saturday, October 15, 2016

The Search to What Not To Do At A Funeral 
A man searches to be better 
Couples at grave compete to be better 


The Search (Shakespearean sonnet) 

I search to find the meaning of my life
Some gleaning to give meaning why I’m here
In search of kisses on the shores of strife
And give another reason to a tear
-
I hope to touch some purpose to it all
Some stream where every dream first had its start
In hope some softer kisses might recall
A melody that’s beating in a heart
-
I trust that given time I too might see
Some scent which once was meant for souls to find
Entrusted to forgotten memory
Of kisses which are better left behind.
-
I search for hope while she is by my side
And trust my life brings meaning to my bride


A gentleman's reflection is the depth of this Shakespearean sonnet. This sonnet contain two surprises. First is the second line of each quatrain. Not only does each second line begin with "Some", but they contain a rhyme within a rhyme. Secondly, was the reason for the man's reflection, which we do not find out until the rhyming couplet. It is the man's wedding. 

It was March 30, 2007, the end of months of planning. It was the day I was wed to Amor. With the help of Amor's close friends and my experience as an event organizer, I put together the entire affair. Amor only directly chose the wedding cake, the flowers and the wedding candles. In fact, Amor's friends told me all of Amor's dreams which she shared with them and they shared with me and I used to make our magic day come alive. I have two movies (and pictures) of the day, showing Amor's amazement as her "secret" dreams came true. We Masons have a custom. "No man should enter any great or important undertaking without invoking the blessing of God." Before Amor arrived, I found a secluded room where I could be alone. I gave my one last "Thank You" and request for blessing, for this day and for our future. Then it hit me. Time stood still. I was 55 years old. Already had a full life. Could I now bring a portion to Amor? This and more raced through me. Then one by one came the feeling: This was meant to be. 

I'm not going to give a religious exhortation. Though I am a Christian, I and the Masons believe that is not our place to put our religious beliefs on others. This thing about asking God's blessing before starting any important undertaking is nothing more than reflecting for a moment on what is about to happen. Manyt successful people engage in this reflection. Perhaps you are one of these successful people. One last chance to gather our thoughts. One last chance to take a deep breath. One last chance to say, "Here we are. Are we ready?" One common place to see what I'm talking about, is when an athlete is preparing to take the field. There is no time limit. It can take a while or an instant. The next time a important is about to happen to us, let's take a moment for ourselves. A moment to prepare. On last deep breath  And when the moment becomes a little more, Enjoy. 


Back to the wedding: Bryan Adams "I Do It For You" 

To better ourselves is one thing - But to try to be better than someone else 


The Myles Standish Burial Ground (also known as Old Burying Ground or Standish Cemetery) in Duxbury, Massachusetts is, according to the American Cemetery Association, the oldest maintained cemetery in the United States. It dates back to 1620. In another cemetery, somewhere, two couples, from Studio C, meet to mourn. The problem started because they weren't mourning at the same grave. Well, not to be outdone. 
The result was grave. (Ha ha) "What Not To Do At a Funeral" 


Thank you for stopping by and your kind support 


Please leave a comment with your opinion, feedback and/or suggestion(s) or just say hi.
If you missed or want to enjoy a previous edition visit the Blog Archive (on the right column).
Don't forget to bookmark and/or follow http://mhatter99.blogspot.com/
(Sometimes videos may load slow.)

Share Poetry and Viral Videos with a friend 



There are three methods to gaining wisdom. 
The first is reflection, which is the highest. 
The second is limitation, which is the easiest. 
The third is experience, which is the bitterest. 
Confucius

8 comments:

  1. Taking a moment to reflect can help matters many a time indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is a person with a successful blog talking
      Thank you

      Delete
  2. I reflect before, and review after. Which works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always preparing for the next adventure
      Thank you for making me a part of them

      Delete
  3. What a touching and moving poem. Definitely reflection can be powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can tell by your beautiful art you do a lot of reflection
      Thank you

      Delete
  4. I am a believer in a higher source of energy in the universe and meditation is something I often do, it is to find peace and a higher
    place of consciousness where I can hear creator's message. But, hey
    that's just me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great! Follow your belief and grow
      Thank you

      Delete