Thursday, November 17, 2016

The Rules to Most Complicated Board Game 
One man searches for the rules of love 
Another man searches to understand the rules of a board game 


The Rules (Shakespearean sonnet) 

What are the rules this fascinating game
Where all the world reminds my heart of you
And with these eyes has dawned a lover’s hue
While somewhere something flutters at your name
-
There must be rules some long forgotten rue
Which causes kisses to create a flame
That grows beyond our passion’s will to tame
This fire through which lovers must pass through
-
While lonely tortured tempests turn to say
What kindly schools now fashion fancy fools
We turn our ears to draw a kiss our way
While lovers etched in time show off their rules
-
We trust the rules created by our heart
With love we’re bound and shall not ever part


A lover searches for the rules to a fascination in this Shakespearean sonnet. The word "rules" occurs on the same beat in the first and second quatrains and the rhyming couplet. Is it a coincidence that "rules" is moved too the end of the conflict stanza (the third quatrain)? Also notice that this sonnet about rules doesn't follow the normal rhyme scheme.  

I was a board gamer since I was 8 and my uncle gave me my first chess set. Collecting and playing board games became my hobby. I became quite good, but not the best. When I met Arlene, she was heavily into playing sports, but not into board games. At first she tried to learn,  but eventually gave up. What use was it? I was always going to win.  For Christmas, Arlene would give me a game, knowing that whatever the game was I would love it. One Christmas she got me a fancy backgammon set. The board folded into a suitcase. Backgammon is a skill and luck game. I convinced Arlene to play it with me. Luck was with her. The look on her face was priceless. She had beaten the mighty Martin. I was inspired. I would let Arlene win. I was good  enough that she couldn't tell. This had two effects. For me: I learned that by simply enjoying a game I was a winner. For Arlene: She got better. There came a day that I no longer had to let her win. She won on her own and I was happy playing. 

What are the rules of the great game? First, what is the great game? To live; To love; To learn; To experience; To share; To care; and on and on... Perhaps I am wrong to lightly reefer to it as a game. Perhaps it smiled on me more than most. Perhaps I'm too much of a dreamer.  Even to call it "life" may be cutting it short. But is there more to life? Some feel it. Some hope for it. Some are doing their best. But here we are. What are the rules of the great game? Enjoy. 


Back to the rules of love: Dick Manning "Fascination" 

Want to make life more complicated  - Then try this game


The original Dungeons & Dragons set was written by Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, and was published by TSR in 1974. The set included three digest-sized books: the 36-page "Men & Magic", the 40-page "Monsters & Treasure" and the 36-page "The Underworld & Wilderness Adventures". Rhett James McLaughlin and Charles Lincoln, of Rhett and Link, have found a game just slightly more complicated.
If you have a lifetime Rhett and Link would be happy to teach it to you. "Most Complicated Board Game Ever"

Thank you for stopping by and your kind support 


Please leave a comment with your opinion, feedback and/or suggestion(s) or just say hi.
If you missed or want to enjoy a previous edition visit the Blog Archive (on the right column).
Don't forget to bookmark and/or follow http://mhatter99.blogspot.com/
(Sometimes videos may load slow.)

Share Poetry and Viral Videos with a friend 



Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek 
and find all the barriers within yourself that you 
have built against it
Rumi


20 comments:

  1. With life any moment the rules can go out the window, that is the only rule I know haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you're prepared...
      We now live in a world that changes rules
      Thank you

      Delete
  2. Rules? Queue hysterical laughter here. Pat has nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's follow him
      talk abut rules
      Thank you for being you

      Delete
  3. Beautifully crafted sonnet, and I enjoyed the process notes / philosophical reflections too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you
      I enjoyed and appreciate your thoughts

      Delete
  4. Me and Nick used to play a lot of card games but never got into board games.
    Life is a game where no one makes it at the end so dont take it serious.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I play card games too...
      I agree, life is a game
      Thank you and enjoy the game

      Delete
  5. Good you received board games.
    We have many here at home but don't play them anymore, what a pity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fellow gamer!
      Time to dust a few off
      but first, a few more pictures
      Thank you

      Delete
  6. Hello, I think in any game it is all about being a good sport. Win or lose. Love the poem. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed
      Thank you for the compliment
      Enjoy the weekend

      Delete
  7. What a sweet story of board games... I also greatly enjoyed your poem, "While lonely tortured tempests turn to say" is such an elegant turn of phrase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support and kind words

      Delete
  8. "...this game....where all the world reminds my heart of you....." What a beautiful sonnet........I loved the story of you letting Arlene win, and how she then improved in the game. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy that you enjoyed.
      Thank you for stopping by

      Delete
  9. Rules always change easily in matters emotional. Great tnat Arlene rose to the occasion being naturally smart and you needn't have to ostensibly compromize and so maintained all the goodness of a wonderful couple.

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so on the mark.
      Thank you for the kind thoughts

      Delete
  10. Rules are made for breaking from time to time. In the game of life the object is to stay alive for as long as you can and enjoy the moments along the way. One has to be flexible.

    I wonder if she ever suspected you let her win?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing your insights.
      Whether Arlene knew are or not is a moment of dreams

      Delete