Saturday, December 31, 2016

The Setting Sun to 2016: The Movie 
The sun sets for a man 
As the sun sets on 2016 a movie traitor is made 


The Setting Sun (modern sonnet) 

What does he search for in the setting sun
Which kisses endless ocean of goodbye
As whispers set a breeze for him alone
A darkness which weighs heavy on his soul
-
For him there are no footsteps on the ground
There is no heart which beats for him at all
So empty were the memories misplaced
He leaves a life which never felt him near
-
He cries too late to shadows of his blame
His pain meet echoes of a wasted life
Of all the things which once he could have done
What does he search for in the setting sun
-
Now somewhere in this sun there walked a man
In darkness searched for purpose of his own
Who in a moment saw a stranger fall
And with a helping hand a life began 


The sun sets on a man lost in confusion in this modern sonnet. If at times we feel ourselves lost in the meaning of the words or confused in the painting, that's alright and perfect. Keep in mind, a person lost someone dear to him. The sonnet does have a hopeful ending. Sonnet! This doesn't rhyme. Modern sonnets don't have to rhyme (or follow a meter). If we look closer, we will notice that the lines in this sonnet are written in iambic pentameter. 

In 1974, I lost Jack Benny, my favorite comedian. In 2005 I lost the mot influential man in my life. 
My teacher, Johnny Land. As I get older and older more and more people around me seem to be dying. To make matters worse, I learned the Masonic funeral. I started to perform funerals in 1999. My saddest year was 2001. That was the year Arlene fell ill. To me she was still Arlene. I tried my hardest to keep her spirits high. I even got a councilor to help and advise me. But I couldn't compete with the mirror. She could see the damages of the stroke to her poster an looks. From her dresses and gowns she went to her mother's wardrobe to try cover up her body. She sat a lot. Worst of all there was the dancing. Arlene had lost something very important to her. Then there was the bombardment of people who felt sorry for her. She had dropped from stardom to pity. In many ways, death was a kind messenger for her. Me? I was devastated. Thanks to my family, friends and associates I made it through. I kept myself very busy doing even more charity and volunteer work. Parties? I stopped going to parties. In 2006 Amor came into my life. A new man was born. 

Here we have a puzzle of life. Life, death, aging, time and memories. People are dying all the time. The more we know them, the more we are affected. Some people handle aging real well. I was a guest at a party to celebrate a man's life. He was due to die before the party was over. Memories can work for or against us. Religion? I am a firm believer, But,as good as I am, I cannot absolutely prove my faith. Faith! There's a good one. Once we can prove faith, it stops being faith. Faith or no faith, we only have this now. Make the most of it. But, Arlene welcomed death because she could no longer be her memories. I died also, but was reborn anew through Amor.  Arlene still lives though the many things she touched and helped. The teacher Johnny Land still lives through me and countless others. So it is with all of us. I believe we are all here for a reason, a purpose. What is that reason or purpose? Here we have a puzzle of life. It is (they are) as unique as we are. And while we are figuring it all out, Enjoy. 


This all calls for some mood music: Samuel Barber "Adagio for Strings"  

Did we like 2016 enough to see the movie 


According to Dan Rather (12/26/2016) 2016 will be remembered for many things, but one of those may be that it was the year that American journalism got a much-needed spine transplant - perhaps too belatedly for election coverage, but nonetheless. 2016 will indeed be remembered for many things. It was a wild year. Wild enough to make a movie. 
Here is a trailer for the movie that will never be. "2016: The Movie (Trailer)" 


Thank you for stopping by and your kind support 


Please leave a comment with your opinion, feedback and/or suggestion(s) or just say hi.
If you missed or want to enjoy a previous edition visit the Blog Archive (on the right column).
Don't forget to bookmark and/or follow http://mhatter99.blogspot.com/
(Sometimes videos may load slow.)

Share Poetry and Viral Videos with a friend 



Death is not the greatest loss in life. 
The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live. 
Norman Cousins

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful and very touching poem .
    sunsets always touch my soul .your lovely poem reminds me times when i looked at setting sun that was pulling it's golden net from the green hills slowly and valley seemed little sad for his departure ..though he left his red kiss on the forehead of sky to leave hope behind the hope for meeting again next morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely thoughts.
      That is a beautiful expression you shared here.
      May the grandeur of morning always greet you

      Delete
  2. Life sure is a puzzle, funny how faith works huh? People sure do live on through all they touched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your affirmation
      I knew you would like that faith thing

      Delete
  3. Great poem and tough subject to tackle in a modern sonnet. Most find it easier to write of love but the raw emotion of confusion is not as easy. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet and understanding compliment
      Glad that you enjoyed

      Delete
  4. I am a firm believer that while people are remembered they are not gone. Less accessible, but not gone.
    A very Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From my experiences: it is surprising how many people we remember and what brings them back to light.
      Happy New Year

      Delete
  5. Very touching and beautiful poem.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a poignant and moving poem and thoughts. I hope the new year treats you well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. life is a mystery thats for sure. I enjoy you and Arlenes love stories.
    I wish you and yours a Happy New Year!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is indeed a mystery. Glad you enjoyed my story.
      Thank for all the support

      Delete
  8. Who in a moment saw a stranger fall
    And with a helping hand a life began

    A man may be lost in confusion. A man may have lost someone dear. But once he had got over it he should be able take whatever comes to pick up the pieces! Happy New Year Martin!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...or maybe it is written in the stars.
      Thank you so much for your valued thoughts.

      Delete
  9. Sadly with age comes loss - we can only hope there will be someone's hand to hold and a reason to keep going when the time comes.. a powerful poem..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this well expressed truth of how things are.
      Happy New Year

      Delete