Thursday, January 26, 2017

The Exchange to A Bad Lip Reading of Inauguration Day 
Another day brings an exchange of feelings 
Another day brings an exchange of power 


The Exchange (Italian sonnet) 

Each morning starts the beat of life’s routine
No longer matters one day to the rest
A part from sterile bleakness lack of scene
This haven that becomes a human’s nest
-
Soon after what is called the morning fare
He settles in his space the same old way
Some days he needs a hand in getting there
Small things one takes for granted cause delay
-
But once he starts what richness in his tide
With vibrancy paints all the world alive
His light frees confidence once lost inside
Inspiring dreams with power to survive
-
Beside this mind the rules of time can range
Still all things borne of earth some repose yearns
In sleep for now our fantasies exchange
To what tomorrow brings if he returns


An average moment turns into something else in this Italian sonnet. The sonnet starts out as just another work day for a 9-to-5er. Two whole quatrains were spent to describe the monotony. Things begin to change, for the better, as the sonnet goes on. One quatrain to go. We are expecting a person's day to get better. With the final quatrain, we should be disoriented. Well we should be. It was all a dream.

For thirty years I had a great time working at Chevron. It was a dream job. I looked forward to going to work each and every day. The hardest part of going to work was leaving Arlene each morning. I had gone to College to be a music teacher. Chevron sent me to Art School (at their expense) to be a graphic artist (in the printing field). Instead of working a press, I would be a pioneer of the quick copier (or Xerox machine, as we now call them). My incredible success put me in charge of a team of people who assembled things. It was then that Chevron started brain washing everyone to be positive. This worked out very good for me and my team. In four years we only had one late job. Rewards for doing an exceptional job flowed our way. Going to work was fun. Then I landed the job of Customer Assistant Rep. An employee of Chevron would come to me with a job and I would figure out how to get it done. (whether it was a simple copy job to a teacher award program in Washington D.C.) One of the first jobs that came across my desk was "Chevron's Unified Accounting Practices". The trick was to copy and assemble binders containing new accounting guidelines for every gas station and
Chevron offices worldwide and have all these delivered around the same day. We were so successful that my final request for this project was to bring food for the entire staff of the three building downtown headquarters, as a celebration. From here my imagination gained its reputation. Do I see the glass half full or half empty? It depends on what is in the glass.

It is difficult for me to discuss people and their jobs. We spend a good deal of our life working. I was lucky to have someone to teach me the value of good work practices. (David, the owner of the M and M Restaurant.) I enjoyed working at Chevron. Then the entire company takes up a positive frame of mind. I'm even happier. People enjoyed working with me. Here may be a clue. Chevron found out that people are more productive when they are happy. Not all jobs are Chevron. Then there is our mind. It can find, it can make an avenue of escape in even the most tedious job. (I know this from clothing factory workers.) Then there are those who gain pleasure and satisfaction in knowing they are good at what they do. It is up to each one of us. We spend a good deal of our life working. For that reason alone, as well as for those around us, find that pathway to Enjoy.


And we meet that next day let's do it with a little soul: 
Sam Cooke and The Soul Stirrers "Just Another Day" 

Where was the pleasure in that latest inauguration 


I bet we didn't know that in 1703, George Washington's was the shortest inaugural address at 135 words. I bet we also didn't know that Bad Lip Reading go their hands on the 2017 inauguration. What does this mean to us? 
Ifbanyone can figure it out, please share. "'INAUGURATION DAY' — A Bad Lip Reading of Donald Trump's Inauguration


Thank you for stopping by and your kind support 


Please leave a comment with your opinion, feedback and/or suggestion(s) or just say hi.
If you missed or want to enjoy a previous edition visit the Blog Archive (on the right column).
Don't forget to bookmark and/or follow http://mhatter99.blogspot.com/

Share Poetry and Viral Videos with a friend 



Let the beauty of what you love be what you do. 
Rumi


20 comments:

  1. I can relate to this but not by going to work but the routine of another home alone day.
    Great to read.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Work is surely not our only routine.
      Thank you so much for point this out.

      Delete
  2. Happiness in work is the keystone on which life's happiness rests, however one defines 'work.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point! Did I go to work or was I paid to have fun?
      Thank you for sharing your insight

      Delete
  3. 9-5 is not fun, but it must be done. No one is going to like their work 100% of the time. But if you can enjoy it some, there is a win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good thought. ...to find that something.
      Thank you for throwing this into the pot

      Delete
  4. At one time my immediate superior delighted in putting his staff in fear. He openly admitted it was the 'best part' of his job. So no, I didn't enjoy going to work. I still had places of joy though. And thought, and think, that despite his power he was a very sad man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and as Chevron has proved, profits suffered.
      Sorry you had to go through that.
      Thank you for the clue of overcoming a harsh situation

      Delete
  5. Oh I do love Rumi! Work ethic is very important too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your comment!
      I know what you meant. But take in the insinuation (about Rumi)
      Thank you. (too cute)

      Delete
  6. The poem is wonderful! I'm also glad you enjoyed your job so much and did so well at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment and kind regards

      Delete
  7. I believe in making and working for the best in ourselves. If you are not happy where you are, make a difference, I say. Good for you to have such a positive attitude towards work and life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said! This works in so many ways.
      Thank you for sharing this idea.

      Delete
  8. Isn't it nice to be able do love what you do and do what you love?!
    I love this Italian sonnet. nice to meet another lyrical poet:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you too.
      It was hard to leave.
      Thank you for the visit.

      Delete
  9. That video is a scream :) very clever.
    Always good to have a job that one likes, makes for a pleasing time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you enjoyed.
      Thank you for the enjoyment you sent me

      Delete
  10. Had fun watching the bad lip reading. Thanks for another laugh.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete