Sunday, March 19, 2017

Something Is Wrong to Cheat Day 
Argument in his mind 
Argument of two delights 


Something Is Wrong (modern sonnet) 

About now is the time for me to walk
Forget the reason it left long ago
All doubt about whose fault is vaguely clear
Regret will be the prize won here today
-
She could have kept in mind the other times
Brush off her day once more and think of us
We would not fight if she learned how I try
Hush oft resounds her answer to this blight
-
Were I a man to better rule my tongue
Selecting words more wisely could be fun
Whereby a hug or kiss might be a start
Reflecting on the one that matters here
-
Where could I find another such as you
Withstood life’s ripples just to stay with me


A mind meets heart to reason ends this modern sonnet. There are no rhymes in this sonnet. Modern sonnets do not have to rhyme. Part of the fum composing a modern sonnet is: how far can the artist go and still have the creation be recognized as a sonnet. This one uses the iambic pentameter meter. The quatrains represent what was going on in the mind. The final couplet Is the resolution (whether in words or thought).

Even during our best days, something would cause a scattering to enter Arlene's or my mind. When we were dating, I don't remember us ever arguing. I guess we had better things to occupy or minds. Our first argument took place some time after we moved in together in our "Palace in the Sky". I don't recall exactly what was the cause of the flare up. I do remember the strangeness of it. We had never argued with each other before. We had no experience with it. The hurtful words just seemed to flow. Talking turned to shouting, until Arlene rushed off to the bedroom. She slammed the door behind her. When my mind regained its sanity, I noticed the bedroom door was opened a little. I heard Arlene crying. I rushed in to say I sorry. The rest is up to a lover's imagination. When we moved to that Richmond street apartment the arguments got worse. I don't know how we survived those days. Arlene and I move and the argument stayed in that miserable apartment. A new world of dreams opened up to us. With so much going on, scatterings would enter our minds. Arlene and I seeing where we were and the magic of it, learned to think before we spoke. We learned to express our feelings in a way that the other person heard. If an argument did break out, Arlene was very good at keeping the door open. 

This is just me talking. Positives attract positives and negatives attract negatives. "Life has its funny little ups and downs." Have we ever found ourselves a little more angry than a situation calls for? Maybe someone cuts us off in traffic. Perhaps someone gives us very poor service. Maybe we feel we are not being listened to. We get a sense that we are not being treated fairly. We explode (or want to). It happens to the best of us.  When we express our feelings, other unrelated (to the specific incidence) feeling(s) may have attached themselves. Making us more angry than the situation warrants. This is particularly common in relationships. Me... I became more positive. Chevron brainwashed me to their positive way of doing business. Arlene and I would talk to each other about things that bothered us, whether about each other or something that happened throughout our day. Listening and discussion are essential tools. I believe an active physical lifestyle, tennis, walks, bike rides, dancing. helped keep tempers down. I'm sure we all have more valuable tools. Crazy as it may sound, everything can be turned into a positive. Let us watch, learn and understand. ...a positive way to Enjoy.


Relationships and arguments: Carpenters "Hurting Each Other" 

Should we enjoy a carrot or a Cupcake 


Carrots are an excellent source of beta-carotene, and contain high amount of fiber. Beta carotene is important for eyesight, skin health, and normal growth. They are a good source of fiber, vitamin C and potassium, as well as vitamin B6, folate, and several minerals including calcium and magnesium. There are approximately 178 calories in 1 (2-3/4") cupcake (no frosting). With a calorie breakdown of 26% fat, 71% carbs, 3% protein. Which do we think is better for us? Here is a guy who decides to cheat on his diet. 
Maybe this video will tell the errors of cheating. "CGI Animated Short Film HD: 'Cheat Day Short Film' by Diem Tran" 


Thank you for stopping by and your kind support 


Please leave a comment with your opinion, feedback and/or suggestion(s) or just say hi.
If you missed or want to enjoy a previous edition visit the Blog Archive (on the right column).
Don't forget to bookmark and/or follow http://mhatter99.blogspot.com/

Share Poetry and Viral Videos with a friend 


Better than any argument is to rise at dawn 
and pick dew-wet red berries in a cup. 
Wendell Berry


 

28 comments:

  1. Can be swapped around indeed. And yeah, we tend to get angry over such stupid things sometimes, I curbed that crap with an idgas attitude haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (For those who don't know IDGAS is an acronym)
      Thank you for sharing this strategy, used by many

      Delete
  2. Disagreeing is fine. Arguments (particularly where we feel the need to win) are dangerous.
    I firmly believe that the old phrase 'sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me' is wrong. Many of us carry scars from words. Sometimes carelessly chosen, sometimes carefully chosen words. Kindness and listening never go astray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree. I can tell you this: When a person can; talk, it cuts down on arguments, drastically.
      Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful poem. It can be difficult at times to be our best selves...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment.
      All we can do is try.

      Delete
  4. Arguments can be hurtful - words can heal or destroy. I went to a seminar once and they said that negativity of one can spread, but it is difficult to not be negative if you are treated negatively. The trick is to turn the energy around into something useful and positive. I guess it all comes back to balance of some sorts and a willingness to listen not just hear.

    Happy Sunday Martin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely right. Hurtful words always leave scars. Positive can be found in all things. Once we see this, spread the light. To really listen is find ourselves. Best of everything.
      Thank you

      Delete
  5. think people need to learn to work through disagreements. It sounds as if you and Arlene did just that. It takes trial and error, and it seems that the two of you found the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly so. Some learn early. Some never learn. Leaving it up to us who do.
      Thank you for the good thoughts.

      Delete
  6. That was a very interesting piece and background. Thanks!
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by,
      Hope to see more of you every now and then.

      Delete
  7. This tells the story of lovers grown wise.......as I said in a comment to another poet just before this, "we all are responsible for the energy we bring". You two learned how to speak well and to listen. If only more people could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spoken like one whose soul is open...
      Thank you for the kind words.

      Delete
  8. Love your poem and after thoughts. So much to be learned I. Relationship the highs the lows the learning to speak the learning not to speak... thank you for always reading and commenting on my poetry...bkm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you enjoyed. Thank you.
      I was lucky to have a good partner.
      It is a pleasure to visit your site.

      Delete
  9. After a couple hurtful arguments, Me and Mine have learned to talk around an argument and out of it. Its important to think before you speak. Once you get that figureed out, your relationship will last forever. and Yes, always keep that door open.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your insights.
      Glad to hear you have found the higher magic of relationships. Enjoy

      Delete
  10. Once words are said they can not be taken back.
    Discussions are good for one, arguments are not always especially if one person can't see the other persons point of view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I strongly agree with both of your points.
      Thank you for all the beauty you spread.

      Delete
  11. I enjoyed both your poem and your essay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm so happy that I brought you enjoyment, for you bring me enjoyment too.

      Delete
  12. I don't know what it is about animated short films but I just love them! I guess my love for them started when I was a child with Tom and Jerry and who doesn't love Droopy! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm glad I could make your day.
      Thank you for allowing me to put a smile on your face.

      Delete
  13. I enjoyed this post - the blank verse sonnet and wise text. 'Listening and discussion ARE essential tools.' I've found too, that a sense of humor nullifies a multitude of sins. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sense of humor - There is wise advise. Thank you for that.
      So glad you enjoyed, and appreciate the visit

      Delete
  14. This was a great poem to read and the music was spot on.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. So happy that you enjoyed.

      Delete