Thursday, May 4, 2017

Church Bells to Eating Twinkies With God 
The realism of life 
The wonders of life 


Church Bells (poem) 

Those church bells welcomed her into this world
And there she was her mother at her side
With holy waters into life was hurled
This angel proved to be her father’s pride
-
Those church bells welcomed her into this world
And there she was her mother at her side
As laces of her wedding dress unfurled
She starts a journey husband at her side
-
Those church bells welcomed her into this world
And there she was her mother at her side
Inside a coffin now her body curled
For days the people came and stared and cried
-
Those church bells welcomed her into this world
And there she was her mother at her side
It was the day when all of heaven twirled
It was the day her mother gently died 


These church bells mark the lives of mother and daughter in this poem. This poem uses the exact wording in the first two lines of each stanza, followed by two more lines that rhyme with them and match them in meter. This was done to imitate two lives under the unchanging church bells.  

This poem encapsulates one of the saddest things I have ever experienced. A mother burying her daughter. I know it happens, but I still feel it it is wrong. The church in the picture is Star Of The Sea. It is the church where Arlene was baptized. By it is a Catholic school, where Arlene and I met. Me? I'm baptized Lutheran. My mother and her first husband were not religious. My interest in Christianity began in 1967, when I was in high school. I was drawn into one of the storefront churches of Evangelist Dave Wilkerson. From there, I became a church choir singer.  I sang for Methodist, Episcopalian, Baptist and Presbyterian churches.  I got into reading the bible at the same time that I got into reading other spiritual books. I met Devoy Harris and together we formed The Messengers Of Light. The messengers and I parted ways. I was 30 when my friend Steven got me to accept Jesus. I just felt right.  The Catholic church got their hands on me when Saint Gabriel School asked me to coach for them. Going to mass wasn't part of the deal, but I thought it best if parents and players saw me on Sundays. St. Gabriel and I parted ways when I stopped coaching. At the time I was heavily into bible studies (as far as book reading). I was looking for answers from different Christian sources as well as versions of the bible. This lead me to the Jehovah's Witnesses. They were more than happy to study and discuss the bible with me. We accepted that I would not become a Witness. All this religious background would come in handy when I performed funerals for the Masons. I did go a bit off track. Still...

It is a big world, filled with many beliefs. Some believe in a supreme being. Some do not. Some believe there is life after death. Others do not. The number of religions in the world is vast. Additionally, to add complexity, there are variations of these religions. There are even variations of these variations. Sound confusing? Consider the Word of God: the bible. It is estimated there are at least 50 English versions. Then there are all of our languages. Let's throw into the mix those who believe this is all there is. What is really important is what we believe. After all, it is we who live this life. It is we who will breath that last breath. What is, is. We must be satisfied. And in our satisfaction, do our best. What do we believe? It all starts from here. And from here let us Enjoy.

Isn't that right Barbara: Faure "Pavane" (Barbra Streisand) 

Let us not close our eyes to wonder 


We don't need to look for and wide for God. He's in every one of us and in every thing that we do. Whether you believe or not, we all can agree that by helping each other, each good act that we do makes this world a brighter place. Let us rise to the occasion and be kinder to each other, to help one another. 
To illustrate this Meyer Kay has created this video. "Eating Twinkies With God" 


Thank you for stopping by and your kind support 


Please leave a comment with your opinion, feedback and/or suggestion(s) or just say hi.
If you missed or want to enjoy a previous edition visit the Blog Archive (on the right column).
Don't forget to bookmark and/or follow http://mhatter99.blogspot.com/

Share Poetry and Viral Videos with a friend 



Be happy for this moment. 
This moment is your life. 
Omar Khayyam


 

24 comments:

  1. I am not a believer. And, at least in part because I believe this life is all I will have, it is a spur to make me live the best (and the kindest) life possible. Kindness never, ever goes amiss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you said, you were not a believer. You believe in yourself. That is were it all starts.
      Thank you for being you.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful poem, so real to life. some realities of life are not good but it's how you deal with things. Being kind in this world is a must if one wants the "Inner Peace".
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me. Kindness is a must. Life goes on (the church bells). What we do with it...
      Thank you as always

      Delete
  3. Belief, we all have our own, but allowing others to have their own too is what we should do. And if everyone would believe, but be open to the possibility that they may be wrong, things would sure go a lot smoother all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't have said it better.
      Thank you so much for reminding us of this.

      Delete
  4. I'm a Baptist. I also have been saved and believe what the Holy Bible teaches.
    I love the Twinkie story.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My teacher, Mr. Land was Baptist. Spent a lot of time at his church.
      Thank you and enjoy the light.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful poem, Martin! It infuses readers with a wonderfully positive spirit!! Yes, gift of God is eternal.....:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. What a good feeling that you were drawn in.
      Let us share the Light

      Delete
  6. Few things are as heartbreaking as having to bury a child, or your much younger sibling... It just feels unnatural, especially when they haven't lived long. The tone of your poem reflects that sadness and loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you also felt the purpose to it all.
      So good to see you here. Thank you for the visit.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful and poignant poem. It was interesting to hear of your religious journeys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughts. They are most welcome.

      Delete
  8. i am glad that you choose your way ! Being religious and being good human being are tow different thing to me because i observed huge differences between people's words and acts.

    I agree all are tiniest parts of our creator who strengthens us with more of his abilities when whenever we call for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words of support.
      A life as blessed as mine makes one wonder. I choose to believe. My religion says, if we want followers then be the best person we can be.

      Delete
  9. Your poem an post affected me deeply!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a good way, I hope.
      Thank you for your daily rays of sunshine.

      Delete
  10. This was done to imitate two lives
    under the unchanging church bells.

    Mother and daughter will always be together wherever they are. Beautiful way of extending the feelings of love Martin!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly enough, Arlene's grave is only two away from her mother's.
      Thank you for your thoughts, Hank

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful poem, Martin! It infuses readers with a wonderfully positive spirit!! Yes, gift of this relationship is eternal.....:))
    My internet was down, hence am late this time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you and thank you for the compliment.
      I hope, besides the minor glitches, life is treating you well.

      Delete
  12. thank you for this precious gift !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome.
      Thank you for the kind visit.

      Delete