Tuesday, May 16, 2017

The Day Denise Went Away to A Normal Day 
Some days are quite unexpliainable 
Some days are quite normal - depending on who we talk to 


The Day Denise Went Away (repeating poem) 

We pledged our love ever we’d stay
Two youths in a garden at play
The world for us was far astray
And joy was the reason for day
I never thought someone would say
The day that Denise went away
-
Back then it was her and there’s me
And seasons were reasons to be
From problems it seemed we were free
There was so much we didn’t see
The seeds which we’d carelessly lay
The day that Denise went away
-
We’d dance in the clouds of our sky
While world of our friends passed us by
To waves they gave came no reply
We didn’t know how flowers die
Or changes which wrought a decay
The day that Denise went away
-
As time would pass we too would slow
Within a world which didn’t grow
And through each day which lingered so
Was this the girl I use to know
I wondered when to my dismay
The day that Denise went away
-
A nightmare of a dream come true
Too late I pondered what to do
And as my eyes there filled with dew
I wondered if she shared my view
We never dreamed we’d end this way
The day that Denise went away


What seeds were planted that lover could not see their end coming in this repeating poem? What makes this a repeating poem is that on line is the same. In this case the last line. It is unsure what went wrong, but the seed was planted at the beginning of the poem. This was represented by the first stanza rhyming with the repeating line. From the first stanza, the echo of doom (the repeating line) was in the couple's face. More subtly, if we noticed, there is something not right about the rhythm of some of then lines.

Arlene and I got married quite young. I was 23 and she was 22. In our time, at least among our friends. this was the norm. The problems started happening a few years later. Divorce rates were on the rise. This included our friends. The ones that should have never gotten married, in the first place, were easy to accept when divorce hit.  The couples who had to get away from each other. for one reason or another, were harder to accept. How could two people who once loved each other so much end this way? Then there were a few who didn't know exactly why, but being married just wasn't for them and there. It had little to do with how they felt about each other.  There we were: Arlene and I. How were we we going to serve? We could cuddle and kiss a little more. We could work on, enjoy and take in our relationship. We could accept reality. We had eyes to see. What will be will be. Live for this moment, now.

Life is funny. I am old now. There is so much I cannot do anymore. Tomorrow holds the promise of one more thing I cannot do anymore.  Arlene passed on way too early. There is so much I miss. Miss, because I did them and did most things well. Maybe if I didn't do so much, I wouldn't have so much to miss. There was a time, I watched my friends divorce and used it to build a stronger moments (memories). Now I watch myself getting older and unable to do yet one more something. I use what is left to build one more memory. So it should be for all of us. Live. Make one more memory. This life is a gift. A gift of wonders. A world of wonders. Waiting for us. We are that special. Make one more dream and Enjoy.


Talk about memories: Madonna "This Used To Be My Playground" 

Some more memories 


Ever heard of the terrible twos? The nickname may have something to do with the fact 2-year olds tend to be more active now than they will ever be again. 2-year olds really aren't terrible. As the Story of This Life is about to show us, it's all in how we look at it. 
Let's follow the exploits of a mom and her toddler. "A Normal Day" 


Thank you for stopping by and your kind support 


Please leave a comment with your opinion, feedback and/or suggestion(s) or just say hi.
If you missed or want to enjoy a previous edition visit the Blog Archive (on the right column).
Don't forget to bookmark and/or follow http://mhatter99.blogspot.com/

Share Poetry and Viral Videos with a friend 



Nobody can predict the future. You just have 
to give your all to the relationship you're in 
and do your best to take care of your partner, 
communicate and give them every last drop 
of love you have. I think one of the most important 
things in a relationship is caring for your significant 
other through good times and bad. 
Nick Cannon


 

28 comments:

  1. A very true but touching poem and a joy to read Martin.


    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So kind of you to say.
      Thank you for all you do.

      Delete
  2. A nightmare of a dream come true
    Too late I pondered what to do

    The last stanza indicates often times one gets surprised or even shocked for being ill-prepared!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite right. Why were no observations made earlier? Listening is the clue.
      Thank you

      Delete
  3. Make one more indeed, as we never know when it could be our last. Plus it is better to miss than never have at all, in most cases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes us wonder, doesn't it, Pat.
      Thank you for join us in this thought.

      Delete
  4. Hello, you can never take a person or time with them for granted. There may not be a tomorrow. Thanks for sharing. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughts on this matter.
      May you enjoy bright days.

      Delete
  5. Of course there are things (and people) you miss. And precious memories. How much worse to feel that yearning without the experiences which made the memories. A life half-lived...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But how about things that never even entered our mind? Some lives have many doors. Some lives have few.
      Thank you. Something to ponder.

      Delete
  6. What a poignant and beautiful poem. I too think we should cherish what we have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "We’d dance in the clouds of our sky" This is my favorite line. I love the closeness of the moment and thought, it speaks of something unbreakable, everlasting... Even after things change completely--and she's gone--after the mind and heart are full of things that could've been, the "dance in the clouds of [their] sky" remains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You completely got it. Expect to live a complete life.
      Thank you for casting your sunny rays our way.

      Delete
  8. I too can't wrap my mind around why lovers divorce. Especially after many years together.
    Enjoyed the poem.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a mind twister indeed. It happens in the most unexpected places.
      Thank you and best of everything to you.

      Delete
  9. Tomorrow holds the promise of one more thing I cannot do anymore... your words are moving and are going to stay with me for a long long time. The repetition in the poem underlines that mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The key word is "anymore". I did live quite a remarkable life. So remarkable that there is no room for sadness.
      Thank you for your warm feelings.

      Delete
  10. You post seems sad today when I read it - you seems sadder than usual. Are you alright?
    I do like your poem and one makes a memory everyday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your concern. Other than getting old, I'm okay.
      Keep making those memories.

      Delete
  11. Sad reflections, but I agree that the engagement with life is all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and may all of our engagements be joyful and positive.

      Delete
  12. I love your poem and the bio you added about your and your wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I appreciate the feedback.

      Delete
  13. Love this.. as any melancholy song... I can hear it being sung with that refrain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is a great melancholic song.

      Delete
  14. Sullenly touching. Yet, through it all, I can't help but notice fractured rays of hope still clinging. Thoughtfully, painfully, written. "And as my eyes there filled with dew
    I wondered if she shared my view
    We never dreamed we’d end this way
    The day that Denise went away"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. for that compliment.
      If we live life to the fullest, there is little room for sadness.

      Delete