Friday, June 16, 2017

What Beats In My Mind to Are We On A Date 
A person wonders is this me 
A girl wonders is this a date 


What Beats In My Mind (sonnet) 

What beats inside the forest of my mind
A drop of something that won’t let me go
A shadow hid in world I’ve come to know
This breath forgotten which was left behind
-
I feel its whisper deep inside my flow
So deep within the mask I have refined
This hint beyond the life I have designed
What is the song which yearns its morning so
-
Have I not lived each moment as I should
And made the most of person I became
-
My changes were not often understood
I drifted off and ego was to blame
-
And now my mind surrounded by dark wood
Must wonder of a song which once was me 


A person lost finds something unexpected in this sonnet. In the first half, of this sonnet, (the quatrains) we have a person lost in their identity. In the second half (the couplets) the person's questions and is lead to a discovery.  The last word ("me") is not a mistake. It keeps this from being a true English sonnet. It is now something else. But wasn't that the point? 

My plans were to become a music teacher. One year from completing my college degree, I gained some inside knowledge that, this profession would be fazing back. I switched my college degree to General Education. I landed a job at Chevron (then Standard Oil of California). They retrained me to be a graphic artist. Into and after college my fake brother and I were small time entertainers. We landed a big opportunity at Fantasy Records. My partner was going through some major personal problems which caused us to break up a week before our Fantasy Records deal. I went into music on my own, as a song writer and a keyboardist. I shelved music when my lead singer  pursued an opportunity in Japan. From music, I went to photography, mainly models. I was doing real well until the girls started bothering Arlene. Then came my commercial career. I wrote and performed commercials. The money was good, but not steady. At times, I would be drawn away from my family. This would never do. So I gave it up. All this time I was working at Chevron.  As a parent, I was active in their upbringing. I taught both of my children how to read before they entered kindergarten. Opportunities to teach my kids where just outside my doorstep. I even became the coach of their soccer teams. As a coach my most notable successes were: Running laps should be fun and not used as punishment and: Boys and girl at a young age are athletically similar. When I joined the Masons, I was a natural at performing. I became one of the top ritualists. At party and event planning I was amazing (a skill that Chevron taught me), Then Arlene was taken from me. I looked back at all that I was. All the things that brought me here. Here and what still waited up ahead.

Life has many paths and roads. The possibilities are endless. Our possibilities are endless. We are the product of the past and all that we touched and that touched us.  That person we were ten years ago is gone, but lives on in us. That first kiss, those walks in the park, the best meal(s) we every had, all those treasured moments; they are still with us. Even if (heaven forbid) our memory be wiped completely clear, all those things are still here. In our smile. In our eyes. In each wrinkle. They are part of us. They are who we are. Here is a small proof. When we see someone familiar, don't we also see a memory associated with that person? Even more mind boggling. This holds true for everything. Not to get metaphysical, everything is touched by something else and a trace is left behind. The wonder of it all. We are part of that wonder, now and always. Next time we see a beautiful flower, remember we are a part of that beauty and Enjoy.


While we're reflecting let's try this one: Bliss and Melancholia "Quiet Letter" 

On the subject of dating 


Studies show to increase dating success, plan an unconventional date strategy. One could go to a restaurant for the first date, and go to an amusement park or something just as scary and thrilling for the second date. By going to a restaurant, both parties can learn more about each other which is the most important step to create an emotional connection. Going to an amusement park on the second date can actually make dates fall in love. Studies have shown that scary rides like roller coasters and Ferris wheels increase the production of adrenaline, which also simulates arousal which can actually increase the attraction between two people. What if we don't know if we're going on a date? 
The folks at Wong Fu Productions have an incident which might help us. "Are We On A Date?!"


Thank you for stopping by and your kind support 


Please leave a comment with your opinion, feedback and/or suggestion(s) or just say hi.
If you missed or want to enjoy a previous edition visit the Blog Archive (on the right column).
Don't forget to bookmark and/or follow http://mhatter99.blogspot.com/

Share Poetry and Viral Videos with a friend 



We are products of our past, 
but we don't have to be prisoners of it. 
Rick Warren


22 comments:

  1. Yep, sure many a path we can take and each one branches off into so many more. Endless kinda when you think about it. Memories are sure there to make us aware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly for your thoughts on this matter and for all the great support.

      Delete
  2. Hello, wonderful poem. So many memories good and bad, choices of paths and directions. We can only hope we are on the right path. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here we are, now.
      Thank you. Glad that you enjoyed.
      May the paths ahead be all you dreamed.

      Delete
  3. Life (and dates) are a maze of twists and turns. In the end, all we can do is hope that we can say that we are glad we made all the choices we made, the good and the not so good ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for contributing your thoughts on our paths.
      It is clear you followed the sunshine.

      Delete
  4. Yes Martin there are many paths in life to take and only we ourselves are responsible for what we choose.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taken, taken
      I'm glad our paths crossed for this while.
      Thank you

      Delete
  5. Another great post ! And I agree with that dating strategy.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy that you liked.
      Thank you. (drawn to the fun, were we)

      Delete
  6. Donne said it well.
    'No man is an island...'
    Something we need to remember, and you obviously do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this import reminder.
      Leave it to you...

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful and moving poem. Definitely there are many paths, it seems you chose the paths most right for your love and family, that's something beautiful indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving this nice comment
      It fills my heart knowing I touched yours

      Delete
  8. Interesting reading as to what you did whilst working with a company, many people would give an eye tooth to be able to do that.
    Beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for saying so. Yes, I had a pretty blessed life, That's why I worked so hard to give back. It was my "Thank You".
      and thank you too

      Delete
  9. Have I not lived each moment as I should
    And made the most of person I became
    My changes were not often understood
    I drifted off and ego was to blame

    Acceptance by others may not be easy. It is made worse with lack of communications! Very true Martin!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do so appreciate your input.
      Thank you for this time.

      Delete
  10. I really like the imagery in your poem, Martin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then it was worth writing. :)
      Thank you

      Delete
  11. Very true.. we make our memories happy or sad ones as we make choices in life .. great post indeed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feelings ob this matter and the compliment

      Delete