Saturday, September 9, 2017

The Answer to Granny Grab Your Gun (Part 2) 
Tankas about answers 
Grannies continue to search for answers 


Was Always There (tanka) 

It was always there
Though imagined places searched
Unknown waters lurched
While it waited hopefully
The answer about one’s self



Crystal Shores (tanka) 

In the moonlit night
Somewhere mid life’s crystal shores
Lovers once again
Search heaven’s stars for answers
Found within each other’s heart




The Answer (tanka) 

The lovers wondered
Will the season come again
Warmed by winds of youth
And as they searched tomorrows
Found the answer in their eyes


Answers are explored in these tankas. A traditional tanka is 5 lines of 31 syllables total, arranged thus: 5/7/5/7/7. The modern tanka started to appear as early as 1862 with the noted poet Ōgai Mori. Modern tankas challenge the traditional rules. One of these noted modern tanka writers was Nobuyuki Ōkuma (1893–1977). He distinguished himself as an outspoken social critic, yet he also excelled at tanka in his younger days. Here is one of his tankas: 

Third-Class Car on a Night Train

crumpled handkerchief
in one hand
with no baggage
slender legs exposed
standing near the door
swaying
and sighing from time to time

Talk about "the rules". I used to work at Chevron Corporation. My job was Customer Assistant. A Chevron employee comes to me with any graphic or Art oriented job and I figure out how to get it done (and even coordinate). These could be anything from a simple copy job to the big 100 year anniversary party for the Chevron airport hangars. My talent was thinking outside the store that sells the box. My thinking was: with Chevron's money anything could be accomplished and we'll work down hill from there. I was different and my clients had to get use to (get over) it. I would wear suits or nice sports coats. But I would dye my hair. I also wore an earring. One that dangled. I was a sight to see. I was Martin. I earned the privilege to look different at Chevron's headquarters. I had coordinated the printing and distribution of Chevron's Standardized Accounting Practices. I introduced a better Refinery Training and Safety brochure. Before there were computers, there was the (information) War Room. I brought it to Chevron. These were just an inkling of the things I did to allow me to walk outside "the rules" in the corporate world. (Not only walk but see.)

We are all different (unique, individuals). Yet, in some matters we conform to a norm. Some people tend to dress similar to those they hang around with. People tend to associate with others of similar likes, beliefs and interests.People tend to speak the language {including accents and dialects) as those in their communities. To be truly different; To stand out in a crowd, may come at a cost. People may stare. People may talk. People may treat us differently. ...and there are the bullies. We may or may not get use it. We are all different. Take pride in our uniqueness. Be proud of who we are. I believe the big "rule" is: Be true to yourself. In the end, confidence will win out. Remember, we are wonderful. Being who we are give worlds to Enjoy.


Need some more inspiration: Jessie J "Who You Are" 

Gun. mace or cat 


According to the LA Times, there is little difference if a gun or pepper spray is used for home or personal protection. It is interesting though that more men prefer guns, while pepper spray is preferred by a majority of women. 
Master Ken, of EnterTheDojoShow, has another idea. "Granny Grab Your Gun! (Part 2)" 


Thank you for stopping by and your kind support 


Please leave a comment with your opinion, feedback and/or suggestion(s) or just say hi.
If you missed or want to enjoy a previous edition visit the Blog Archive (on the right column).
Don't forget to bookmark and/or follow http://mhatter99.blogspot.com/


Share Poetry and Viral Videos with a friend 



You are unique, and if that is not fulfilled, 
then something has been lost. 
Martha Graham



30 comments:

  1. People sure do seem to flock to the norm around them. As sometimes it is easier to get by doing it. But pfffft to that, we'll stick to being a rhyming cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That a way, Pat. We all appreciate that.
      Thank you

      Delete
  2. And as they searched tomorrows
    Found the answer in their eyes

    Once together with a loved one, one needn't have to look far to see the proof of love. The eyes will tell! Very much so Martin!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so lovely.
      Thank you, Hank, for spreading some of your inspiration here.

      Delete
  3. Oh! so wonderful. A great lesson you tell us, true we should be true to ourselves and be confident.It may come at a price , but is worth the risk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      I am grateful for the fine thoughts you shared.

      Delete
  4. Hi Martin, I really enjored your Tankas, thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Happy that you enjoyed.
      Thank you for visiting.

      Delete
  5. I'm not sure which Tanka I like the best as I like all of them so much. Have a great weekend Martin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm flattered, Susan
      Enjoy your's also

      Delete
  6. Uniqueness is beautiful. Your tankas are wonderful. I especially loved your words "Search heaven’s stars for answers
    Found within each other’s heart"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should know about uniqueness.
      Thank you for your compliment.

      Delete
  7. I liked the description of searching the stars for answers found in each other's hearts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for guiding me to your favorite.
      Dream on...

      Delete
  8. Great Tanka's I had never heard of Tanka's till recently. Have to try that one day. Love your messsage as well to be yourself. It is hard when you are not allowed to be yourself. It's exhausting to play a role.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad that you found this of interest.
      Sometimes "they" make it hard to be ourselves.

      Delete

      Delete
  9. I am at constant odds between The Spotlight and Invisibility... A useful tool you discovered and used, very innovative, this world needs new ways of looking and doing things. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Spotlight and Invisibility: might be an interesting ability (depending).
      Thank you for your thoughts

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed all of this. Fun read.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. So good to have given you you some enjoyment.

      Delete
  11. I love tanka and I was just thinking about koen the other day--maybe as a philosophical tool more than a poetry form--but they are often one in the same--

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you're are making me want your tankas.
      Thank you for this blessing.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thank you. I am pleased to have brought you enjoyment.

      Delete
  13. I like your tankas very much, Martin.....and especially like that you had your own original look, in the corporate world. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you had seen me, you would have been floored.
      So glad you liked the tankas. Thank you

      Delete
  14. I enjoyed your tanka and thought that the way they set the stage for the segue into your thoughts on 'rules' was seamless and wonderfully constructed. Some sharp, clever writing in this post, Martin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Your review was very warm and kind.
      I appreciate knowing that you enjoyed.

      Delete
  15. The search often ends within oneself..so true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree with you more. Thank you

      Delete